2.26.2011

DIY: Vintage Atlas Envelopes

My first DIY post! I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to post one (since I'm always crafting away) but in any case, here it is---a how to on making envelopes using just about any sort of paper. I thrifted an old atlas a few months ago and have been making atlas envelopes ever since. The only real stipulation is that the envelope template has to fit onto the page that you are tracing on.


Onward!

Photobucket

What you'll need:  The paper that you would like your envelopes to be made out of, an envelope that you like the size and construction of, glue (a glue stick would have been better but I didn't have one), a pencil, and a ruler. Not pictured: scissors (duh).

Photobucket

Before you begin, it's important to really take into consideration the shape and construction of the envelope you'd like to make. An envelope with with a simper construction such as the one above will be a lot easier to cut out and trace on to paper, at least that's my opinion! Also, I think that the old school construction with the classic triangle flap just looks better...


Photobucket

Step 1: Carefully separate the glued creases of your envelope in order to form a template. As you can see, I wasn't as careful as I should have been since I ripped a small portion--whoops! 


Photobucket

Step 2: Make sure your template fits onto the sheet of paper you will be tracing on!

Photobucket

 Step 3: Trace all the way around using a pencil. I'm not the most precise tracer so a pencil is essential--I can go back and erase all the squiggles I made.

Photobucket

 Step 4: Cut your new envelope template out! 

Photobucket

 (My template turned out a little lop-sided in the flap area but that's okay because the side flaps get hidden anyway. Told you I wasn't the most precise tracer!) 

Photobucket

Step 5: Put your original envelope template on top of the one you just made so that you can use the creases as a guide when folding. 

 Photobucket

Step 6: Carefully apply a thin layer of glue to the appropriate edges of your envelope. If you're using wet glue like me, make sure that after you fold the envelope together that the glue doesn't get on the inside portion of your envelope. You want your envelope to actually be able to hold something and not be glued shut!

Photobucket 
Step 7: This step isn't really crucial but it is to me, I love a good, clean, crease! I used a small  ruler to get the job done.

Photobucket

Step 8: Wait for your envelope to dry and you're all set! Happy mailing :)



P.S.  
I made a new YouTube video! I  was at home all day today and didn't have much to do because I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I thought I would post a new one. I show off some of my favorite home goods that I've found :)



Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!! 

25 comments:

  1. Hello girl!
    I hope You are healthy already.

    I love a cat cup! I'm big fan of cats too. I had one, but he got lost :(
    I now I live with my guy, who is allergic on cats. :/ That's why I have a dog instead.

    ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey another fun video. Nice sweater! Very cool kitty mug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I love this tutorial! :)

    Those plates are beautiful. Also, you're going to have sooo much fun in France!

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such an adorable diy! i love snail mail and giving fun stationaries makes it that much better (especially when its homemade!!) and congrats on becoming a finalist!!! i hope you win :)

    http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have those kitty mugs!!!! and i love the shirt you're wearing in the video, too. can't wait to try the atlas envelope thing (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesssss! thanks for posting this diy! must try it now ^,^

    ReplyDelete
  7. That envelope is so cute! I must make one!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It 's official. Not only do I want to raid your closet, I want to empty out your whole house :D Awesome finds as usual!

    Feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant envelopes! I would be 100% too lazy to ever do that, but I admire the detail-oriented creativity that says that envelopes shouldn't be plain.

    Looking forward to this video of your escapades!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the DIY envelope tip. Old Calenders are great to use too.
    Lovely video! My favorite find was the colorful 70s canister.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this idea! and so many options for pretty envelopes now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is such a clever idea! I think I'll be trying this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial! I will try this out for sure!

    Anthea,
    Embracing Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um you are a Genius! I love when people help make the world full of eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Not pictured: scissors (duh)." Hahaha. I've always loved making envelopes out of old bits of paper or collages. Getting actual letters will never be out of style with me :) Also, random question: are your fingers double-jointed? If so, I bet it gives you double-craftiness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry but in most cases, it is not true...
    I sent my guy to the doctor, because I dreamed about cat so much. Unfortunately doctor said that he can't help. :( But he suggested that I can find new boyfriend and there wont be a problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this, I've made envelopes before but never really thought about using another other thing than plain paper! This looks awesome :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in love with this DIY. I went thrift shopping the other day and actually thought of you. I didn't have any good luck in the book section though. I can't wait to try again this weekend!


    paperwhales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a really great DIY! I can't wait to have a go at something like this! And Im in love with that gorgeous frame at the end of your video!

    xx have a great day

    www.christie86.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. such a cool idea! i wish i knew how to do this when i was sending out wedding invitations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ashley, if you send me a letter in an Atlas envelope I will write you one back. Remember we used to be pen pals? I forget who dropped the ball on that but it was probably me. Let's start it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have made Gift Card envelopes before but have never thought of using thing other than plain paper..thanks you share it.

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(