2.18.2011

From Brogues to Brontë: Style Cues From Our Favorite Literary Characters

Here's the unabridged version of the entry that I submitted for the Refinery 29 contest. I know people usually get jazzed on fashion week and look to it for inspiration/ new trends  but I find that I get inspired most by books, movies, history, and art. Anyway, here's what I came up with...



Forget about wanting to dress like a half Asian British celeb with ombre hair, an edgy pop star with a craving for carne couture, or your favorite tween style blogger. All forgotten? Good. Now let's hit the books and take notes on some other movers and shakers of the decidedly non-digital age: the stylish lady characters of 19th & 20th century literature.


Photobucket
Miss Havisham
Poor Miss Havisham: jilted at the altar by a guy who also turns out to be a world class con artist sucks, no matter which way you look at it. But does getting even with the world really mean adopting a little girl, spoiling her, and making sure that she grows up to be a professional ball buster? In any case, our spin on this eccentric Great Expectations character includes delicate ivory clothing, worn leather boots, tangled chains, and a pop of “something blue”....moth holes and dust bunnies not included.


Photobucket
Jordan Baker
Move over Daisy Buchanan, because Jordan Baker was clearly the HBIC in The Great Gatsby. She might not have had scruples but what she lacked in conscience she more than made up for on the green. Just don't let her drive a car (ditto for Daisy). We'd like to think that she'd be perfectly at ease in a sporty outfit that combines feminine details with solid menswear inspired pieces, like a delicate accordion pleat skirt paired with sturdy lace up oxfords and a cloche hat tilted jauntily askew (and yes, we just used the word jauntily).


Photobucket
Esther Greenwood
The original stylish intern, Esther Greenwood has smarts for days, works at a fashion magazine, and waddya know, isn't all that impressed with the fashion world or New York City. But because The Bell Jar is set during the 1950s and since she does technically work in fashion, Esther probably would have went to work looking pretty dolled up. Tweed pencil skirts, little leather satchel bags (what better to hold her manuscripts in?), and bright red lips is the look we are envisioning for this melancholic Miss.

24 comments:

  1. Oooh this is so fun!!! I love it!! No wonder you're in the top 5 :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best. Post. Ever.

    I didn't think it was possible to love you even more. But I do. As an avid classic lit reader, I just couldn't be prouder of these outfits. They are PERFECT! I would love to see your outfits for an Austen character or a Bronte heroine. Are those to come? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous. Love it! Also love-the word jauntily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really fun idea! I enjoyed reading these a lot! Can you do a Jane Eyre one? (Esther's outfit is SO cute!)

    ohpageboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was so entertaining :) you are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These outfits look so lovely!Like all of them,nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! It reminds me of one of my lit classes in college; we got extra credit (sort of) if we came to the final presentations dressed as a character from one of the novels we'd read that semester. For the life of me, I can't remember who I went as, but one of my friends dressed as Daisy from Great Gatsby. I'm pretty sure I went as a male character, but I can't remember who. There's a lot that's foggy about those days, haha:) Anyway, great take on style inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always try and use jauntily in my daily vocabulary.

    I love this post! The words are biting and hilarious, and yay! You profiled Jordan!

    Seriously awesome post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. than you! no it's jillepille;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post!!! ♥♥♥ Give me more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love the Jordan Baker collection! This is such a cool idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you've come up with, I adore the Miss Havisham look, but really they're all perfect (wanting that blue typewriter!). Good luck with the competition! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a squizz at Ref 29 and great to see you are in the top 5. Since I follow you and Zarna I'd like you both to win!! If that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww, these are so lovely! what a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous outfits

    i have this cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just the best idea! This should be a new feature for sure! I adore the first one :D the gloves in the Bell Jar one are too cute as well.
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. These looks are SO perfect! And I honestly think of Miss Havisham every time I wear anything super lacy, haha.

    I've really missed reading your blog! Here's hoping I have enough time to keep up with you and your stylish adventures :)

    Good luck! You really deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh mann, this was so fun, such a great idea! love esther the most x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this post. I also get inspired by books and movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome, I'd wear what Esther Greenwood has, but I'm more of a Miss Havisham!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh I like this idea too because you took on characters as opposed to the books themselves! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(