3.14.2011

Flea Market

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
You probably can't tell, but this globe was such an unusual color! A pretty periwinkle!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
My purchase for the day, a huge bag of vintage floral patches for $2
Photobucket
Grant's finds: tiny ceramic dinosaur figurines for this yet to be made terrarium.  I can't wait to see the finished piece!


Outfit details:
Vintage cotton dress: thrifted
Leather saddle bag: thrifted
Sunglasses: thrifted
Leather fringed loafers: thrifted

Week old photos from mine and Grant's trip to the Irvine Flea Market last Sunday. Probably my favorite flea market in Southern California (and yes, this includes the Rosebowl), it's held every first Sunday of the month. I like it because it's free and not too large. Two requirements that the Rosebowl Flea Market clearly lack. Large swap meets/ flea markets can be unbearably overwhelming for me, to the point where I have zero desire to look around. I'm not sure if other people experience this, but when there are way too many people and or things my senses get overloaded and as a coping mechanism it becomes very hard for me to focus. No bueno. But anyway, the Irvine one is super good and everything is vintage. I should have prefaced this paragraph by explaining that its an "antique" flea market so yeah, no one's hawking car mats or fake Chanel sunglasses, the downside is that nobody is selling kettle corn either.

Grant got the best tiny ceramic dinosaur figurines and I bought a bag of vintage patches to throw in with my Etsy orders.


Also:
To answer a few questions from my last post, re: how do I store all the stuff I buy, fortunately (or unfortunately...) I still live at home, in the suburbs, and there is plenty of storage space to go around inside my house. All my clothing for my store has its own special closet in the living room and the other things that I buy for myself...well I'm just good at "arranging" objects so that my room doesn't look too cluttered. Other stuff I buy and keep for when I have my own place to decorate so it gets stored in a box in my closet.

Also, I'm actually a very fast thrift shopper. It only takes me 20-30 minutes to thoroughly scour any thrift store. I think I would go crazy if I had to spend more than an hour inside a store. My method: dresses first, then shoes, then handbags, then I browse through everything else saving housewares or the knickknack aisle last. So yeah, that's my plan of attack and it works pretty well for me!

28 comments:

  1. aww lovely pics:) I adore your shoes!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about the globe - it IS an unusual color. I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, i just love flea markets. I can't wait until Vancouver is in the summer season again so that more flea markets will open on sunny, humid days. garage/yard sale hunting are equivalent to the fun you usually get in flea markets.

    you look amazing as always.

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I love Grant's dinosaurs. I'm pretty sure I would overcome my horror of "stuff" if those were on offer. And you looked fabulous, as per usual. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. And wow, I just realized that three commenters in a row were from Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the doggy tin toys! The little bunny and the shot of all the white/cream lace are adorable too! Hope we get to see what you do with the flower patches soon :)
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is really cute! I also can't stand to be in large or overcrowded flea markets or craft fairs. People have a tendency to start getting aggressive or competitive when they can't get to what they want to see, and my policy is always to vacate immediately. I prefer the lazy Sunday type of flea market, where there's just a few stalls of really great stuff. I love those metal dogs btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little dress, reminds me of 70s dresses that I have but in cotton!

    I'd never heard of the Irvine flea market before, I used to always go to the PCC market (Pasadena Community College) and sometimes to the Melrose Trading Post (as it was every weekend).

    I'm the same with thrift stores, we have HUGE 2-story ones here in Chicago and it gets overwhelming quickly. Without a plan of attack I'd go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful beautiful dress. I would so love to go flea market shopping with you! You have amazing taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first tin dog - those big eyes and the way he s sitting.. ooooh :) and you keep on finding amazing globes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are the cutest! i love your dress!!!! you look amazing.
    makes me want to go to a flea market soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so good! And all these beautiful items look so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your dress! And I want to go to a flea market!! I haven't been to one in sooo long
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic print on the dress! The Flea Market looks like a lot of fun, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. You look gorgeous in that dress!
    2. I NEED those dinosaurs! :)
    3. I am just like you, super fast thrift shopper. Lets go thrifting sometime please?! :)

    Have a wonderful week gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwe so cute :) Love the pattern on that dress.

    I want to go flea marketing so badly, I hate living in the cold, shit storm snow, where we only have 3 months to do all that stuff.

    I'm a fast thrift shopper too. I think after a while you just get good at knowing the difference between treasures and pure junk :)

    Courtney xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that dress! What are your favorite vintage/thrift stores around los angeles? ... if you don't mind sharing ;)

    xoxo
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  18. I completely missed that flea market last weekend! Now I have to wait another month! Oh well, next month for sure, and I'll quite possibly run into you?
    Grant's little dinosaurs are so typical of that place, I love it! haha
    And I'm loving your dress to pieces. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. I dream about house on suburbs....
    I look on first photo and I thign: SUMMER! Ohhh, I miss sun and warm days!!!

    Yes, I like Indian food very much, and there was some samosas on a plate :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your blog and wanted to say that it makes me really happy. I love thrifting and only have a few friends that do too, so it was really awesome to watch your video in your last post and see what else you find in your outfit photos. Super inspiring. I'm definitely following you :)

    <3 Lea

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your method of thrifting, that's the only way to make it out alive! Those dino figurines are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thrift really quick as well. But I maybe more slower than you. I go to usually really big thrift stores. So I have to dig in bins. But I get the best of it because people that usually shop there don't buy vintage.

    I lack storage space at home my hope is to buy a plastic bin with drawers for all my things. I am also thinking of buying a used furniture piece in a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your dress. The dino figures are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh that dress on you is so beautiful and flattering! And this post really made me miss flea markets. I'm way overdue for thrifting. I'm sort of the opposite when it comes to thrifting, especially in a big place. If I don't spend at least an hour thoroughly looking, I'll feel like I'm missing out on something good. Haha. But your method does sound efficient, I'm gonna try that next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such cute great stuff! I reposted the FFB post I did last month, and I hope you don't mind, I re posted the comment you originally posted with it... as it's now on a different blog... :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. love your outfit, the colours and the moods the pictures are sending...and all the captured details...

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(