4.15.2011

Art In The Streets: MEGA POST!

Photobucket

I'll keep the commentary flowing  through the photos (all ~60 of them) but this is what I did last night. The MOCA had a huge artist's opening for the street art behemoth that is, "Art in the Streets". Overseen by Jeffrey Deitch and curated by Aaron Rose, Robert Gastman, and Fab 5 Freddy, it was truly stupendous (and I rarely use that word). I suppose having established artist friends has it's perks---Grant and I get to ride their coattails to the top! Kidding (but not). Our friend Ed Templeton was one of the artists in the show so that's why we got to go to the special opening. Anyway, the show was a visual wonderland and quite overwhelming (in the best way possible). If you live in Southern California you really should be seeing this show, it's unbelievable. But enough back story--on to the art!


Photobucket
Ok but before the art, my footwear of choice for the night. There were A LOT of fashionistas/fashionistos in attendance and it certainly made for good people watching. Peacocking was in full effect, I wonder if they've seen The Pickup Artist?

Photobucket
When we got there the Nike SB team were doing a quick demo.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
A Keith Haring piece.  I'm usually not a big fan but I really liked this.

Photobucket
More Stecyk. Just to have ONE of those posters would be a dream.

Photobucket
This lady was just too perfect. Surely she fully knew what she was doing when she was standing by this section?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Finally some Terry Richardson photos that I can get behind.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Looky who's handsome (if not scabbed) mug made the cut.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Snapped! The artist in front of his work. Lots of people were interfacing with the art and I overhead copious compliments on his piece. Note the Toy Machine pawns waiting in the wings.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
These photos do this section little justice. Probably my favorite part of the show (even better than the Banksy section IMO) by Brazilian identical twin brothers Os Gêmeos  . So much detail (and I'm a SUCKER for detail work), they literally filled the space top to bottom and those walls we're really, really tall! I loved the color palette, the usage of weathered looking windows/doors, small toys just hanging out on random ledges, the quasi folky/rustic thematic elements found in the work....I can go on.  Amazing.

Photobucket
Photobucket

**Margaret Kilgallen

Photobucket

A lightning quick outfit depiction. Polka dot dress: thrifted, Bag: Target, socks: Target, American Flag Converse: Ebay

Photobucket
This room was crazy.

Photobucket

It was hard to take a photo of the whole piece, but imagine walking into a huge white teepee sort of contraption and having a beautiful, intricately cut paper piece, that extends floor to ceiling, greet you in the center.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
For all I know, Banksy was probably there at the opening people watching.  The man does have the best sense of humor. Also, if anyone has seen Exit Through The Gift Shop, I guess that Mr. Brainwash guy was at the opening too and people we're just refering to him as, "Mr. Brainwash"...give me a break. WE KNOW YOUR BACK STORY, THIERRY.

 Photobucket
Pretty much.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
A lot of the installations were insane--like true to life recreations of corner stores/bodegas/ etc.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
To give you a an idea of the size of this piece, look in the right hand corner and compare the people.

Photobucket
Ha. A quick sojourn outside for crudites and some sort of gorgonzola/date cheese log. Grant indulged in the open bar and I watched people full on steal bottles of wine. Sketchy crowd.

Photobucket
Bam! Gwen and Gavin. This event was pretty star studded but I must be oblivious because I didn't notice anyone but members of No Doubt. The only reason I noticed Gwen was because so many people were taking her picture.

Story: I actually summoned my nerve and marched up to her, tapped her on the shoulder, stuck my hand out, and told her that I was such a fan and she was an inspiration. She was super sweet and I think relieved that I didn't ask for a photo. OC girls rep-re-sent (she's from Anaheim aka Anacrime).

Other celebs that were there that I didn't notice: JAKE GYLLENHAAL (!!!!!) who was dressed very celeb goes undercover (or the Leonardo DiCaprio look) with a baseball hat pulled down over his face, Seth Rogen, Justin Timberlake (who was, I guess lookin reeaaaallll good. Eh, he's not my thing), Christina Ricci, Lance Armstrong,  and probably way more people.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Some OG street art/ pop culture.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Lots of cholo/chola photos/ graffiti art. If you know me then you know that I am fascinated with the culture (see here )so this was really awesome to see.  Sad Girl and Mousy must have been pleased.

Photobucket
Tools of the trade

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Essential Basquiat.

Photobucket
Aw! Me and Deanna. 
Chad Muska makes a bigfoot-esque appearance in the background, and the indian guy from No Doubt is also there too.

Photobucket
A botched photo gold opportunity. I cut out the top portion of his mural! He was posing like this for seriously 10 minutes straight. Loved it.

Photobucket
We ended the night with a slice of spicy pizza and an ice cream sandwich. Perfect.


If you live in Southern California you don't have an excuse--you should be going to this! It officially opens on the 17th!

33 comments:

  1. OMG if I still lived in the OC I would have DEFINITELY gone to this... the work looks beyond incredible, and Gwen was there?? I'm from Anaheim too woohoo! (haha anacrime, haven't heard that in a while). And jake gyllenhaal?? I just died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this art is absolutely INCREDIBLE. I would love to attend an exhibit such as this one. You are really lucky to have this experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gaah my browser is crashing the other photos gaaah ;A; but I've seen some amazing ones and can I just tell you look stunning in red and I just adore your sneakers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such great pics! Looks like a completely fantastic time, and I feel really inspired. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen Exit Through the Gift Shop & absolutely looooove Banksy!!! Mr. BW doesn't even compare :) anyways, lovely shots dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this looks like quite the event! i love it, all the art looks so amazing and inspiring! not to mention the sweet pic of gwen and gavin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, wow, this is an amazing post! Grant is so talented and, if you don't mind me saying, a babe. I love your outfit too, that dress is so simple and perfect.

    Also is there any chance you could change the link in your sidebar to our new URL, instead of Velvet Bitchez? We used to get tonnes of hits from your blog (thank you!!) but since we changed to The Velvettes our readership has dropped so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was such a great trip, gazing through your photos. I'm pretty much jealous ;) Os Gemeos, I'm huge fan of their work, seriously. Are they amazing or what? Oh, and ofcourse, Banksy's stuff has allways been a treat for eyes.

    come and visit, http://marinushjewelry.blogspot.com/
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this! The art looked absolutely amazing! As I scrolled down further and further, I got more and more excited getting to see even more of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome! Thanks for all the photos! Looks like it was a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your polka dot dress is really cute, and Grant looks nice too. I think that installation with all the doors would've probably been my favorite also. I love all the color and the sort of folk art vibe to it.

    I was thinking that I probably wouldn't have even noticed any of the celebrities that were there (or cared for that matter) because I would've been too busy looking at the art. That says a lot about me actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen that documentary. I remember at the halfway point, I was just staring at the screen in disbelief--unable to tear my eyes away. That guy is so ridiculous. It would have been neat to see him for real. This looks so incredibly amazing. I hope to be able to go to an event like this sometime in my lifetime. + I love your polka dots :)

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to be checking out Anthropologie. I can't believe only $40 (even on sale). I'd never even thought of venturing in there because I thought they'd be way more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On second thought, if someone really awesome came and stood right next to me, like on the level of Bowie or Kim Deal, or one of the artists themselves, yeah I would notice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you guys look AWESOME and way to meet gwen! I definitely would have shied away ;) shyed? shied? anyway, I love your polka dot dress! so many good photos :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i really enjoyed this post!!! all of this art is so down my alley i loved it all -- i bet it was incredible in person!! and omg!!!!! you saw gwen and um jake gyllenhaal?! i would have died. what an awesome show (and you look gorgeous as usual ;) ) xoxo

    http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband and I were supposed to go to this but we are huge procrastinators and didn't end up making it out. We are definitely going this week though. I read about it in Interview last month and got super excited, now I am even MORE excited after seeing all of this. Thanks!

    XO, MO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa, that is indeed a megapost! Loads of great art! And you look cute as a button in your red polkadot dress - Gwen looks smashing as well :)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will most definitely be checking this out! Hopefully sometime this week.
    Love your dress! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. that show looks seriously amazing! I miss being able to go to things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You lucky, lucky lady!!
    I wish I was there, so bad!

    http://themessenger-bag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. obvi I will be checking this out...

    ReplyDelete
  22. mega post fo sho. when can we hang? also, i put up so pictures for my etsy lookbook! :) check it outtt.
    http://hammocksandtrampolines.blogspot.com
    http://etsy.com/shop/puddinp0p

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Looks like so much fun. I'm not a huge star watcher, but I probably would have got a kick seeing all the celebrities there. You look wonderful!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  24. This show is amazing! I am sorry that in my town is virtually no chance of such events.
    I really like the artwork of African children. But I do not like the writing on the shirt of one of the boys. It makes in me negative feelings about the positive event. I'm talking about Live Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh man! this looked like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow this looks like an amazing exhibit and the MOCA looks like a must-see too. thanks for sharing these awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So awesome! Guess I'm gonna have to get my butt up there and see it! Good for you for saying hi to Gwen, OC girls whatup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow, the cars are really cool! damn.
    And the lady in blue is, as you said, perfect! gorgeous photos btw.

    love, marie my from www.nemesisbabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(