4.18.2011

The Evening Redness in the West

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Outfit Details:
Orange top: my grandma's, Levi's cut offs: thrift store pants that I chopped up, boots: Target, sunglasses: thrifted, felt adventurer hat: Grant's

A recap of the desert day trip Grant and I took on Saturday. It took me a long while to appreciate the sort of unique beauty that can be found in the desert. The austerity of the landscape and stillness can be beautiful but let's be real, I probably could never live in the desert because it's so hot! Saturday was a scorcher but we pulled through. At my behest, we stopped in Cabazon to poke around the outlets. Grant found some pants at the Levi's outlet and an oil sponge for his leather boots and afterwards we stopped by the Cabazon dinosaurs for a photo op. The days of roadside attractions are basically long gone (what a shame, huh?) so it was nice to do something sort of cheesy and touristy since the opportunity never presents itself.

Afterwards, Grant knew of a place off the freeway where the snow and ice from the mountains rushes by, I think it's called White Water? I'm not sure. I do know that it was a neat scene! The water looked so clean and refreshing--Grant couldn't wait to splash around and I timidly sat by the water's edge and gingerly dipped my hand in (verdict? the water felt nice). There were families sitting by the banks taking it easy and I don't blame them, I'd be doing that too if I lived out there.

We drove some more until we got to the Salton Sea which is a the biggest and saltiest lake in California. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to swim in it but you can fish for Tilapia if you want. I'd never been but Grant said that there used to be more abandoned buildings and stuff of that nature, lending itself to the whole "romance of decay" thing. It was still a peaceful, if not eerie, scene We went close to sunset and it was just so still and the lake's horizon blended perfectly with the sky while plane's made silvery streaks in the sky.

We then hung out in Palm Springs for a bit, grabbed some Italian food, and then made it up to a party put on by All Points Worldwide. It was called the Oasis Beach Club or something like that and while I'll be the first to say that massive parties of that nature typically aren't my thing, It was fun to cruise around and people watch and soak up the foreign lifestyle. We found a massive stuffed cushion and just kicked back, looked at the stars, and took in the sights and sounds. A nice way to end our day in the desert.

P.S. I just updated the store (I'll make a proper update on here in a few days) but check it out. Did you know that everything is 15% off right now with code: EUROPE11 ? Well, it is! Act soon, though, because I'm closing up shop on the 29th to go on vacation ;)

32 comments:

  1. such amazing scenery. looks like your desert trip was alotta fun. loving those cutoffs & the awesome print on your shirt.x



    http://thatsweetaurora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some of the most beautiful scenery ever, I wish I could go there!! Beautiful photos, and I just love your outfit, you have such unique style!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scenery, it does look pretty nice there and a change from the standard idea of beaches. I love your top too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinosaurs and wind farms! What more? This looks like an amazing day :) Your flowerful top is the perfect contrast to the vast barren desert landscape :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love love love the shirt!!! it looks fantastic
    and i'm so jealous about the dinosaurs. just by the way ;)
    you look like you had so much fun!

    Escape

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been on a real desert. Too bad ...
    It seems to me that you had a good weekend. Me too. :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pics are so awesome! I just love seeing all these unique places in a faraway land. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Anthea,
    Embracing Style

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha - I love the title to this post. I'm writing my PhD thesis on Cormac McCarthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Solid weekend! Love love love the giant dinosaur attraction-def my style:) The water looks gorgeous! I need a little Cali vacation, so it seems-you guys have got it going on out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your necklace and top! Btw, the sixth photo from the top makes it look like Grant has a massive goatee (courtest of the palm tree). :D Cool nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. is the top made of BATIK fabric? Love it! It's airy and it's a good fabric for a sundress or kaftan too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your outfit!! And it looks like such a fun day! I would probably die of heat in the desert too, haha...but visiting once in a while would be fun :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are incredible... I have to say I never really thought about the desert before I started reading blogs, but Liebemarlene kind of makes me desire it in a vacation sort of way. And I basically have to go to California if only to see those dinosaurs! Love the outfit too.

    Yay for Europe 11! Looking forward to a London rendez-vous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have the best pictures! What kind of camera do you use? Everything is co clear!
    I like the one with the wind mills. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah! I love the cabazon dinos!!! what a fun little day trip ^,^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such gorgeous photos, as always. I love how authentic and untouched they are, photography-wise. That first picture of you is just so silly. I live in Oregon, so there isn't really desert like that anywhere close to me, so it's a bit interesting to me just because it's different. So neat to think of so much flat space. + your shirt is just so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. if it is White Water, it still looks beautiful. I like these gorgeous shots. what an amazing area.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a wonderful adventure! The pictures of the dinos are so funny. I wish I could visit something like that around here but I don't know of any. The landscape photos are really beautiful and evoke the huge hot expanse that is Palm Springs etc. I love the desert! Thanks for the pic of your hunky guy too. haha. You both look adorable as ever.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so envious-- when I lived in L.A. I went on a few trips up to Joshua Tree but never got the chance to stop at the Dino Park, the Salton Sea or Palm Springs. :( It's funny how that stretch of California seems to be caught in a time warp, all the little desert towns are so kitschy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the salton sea! i saw the weird dinosaur christian museum when i went there, too

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you're wearing! and how fun are those pics? I wish I could go there now hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, these are amazing photos! You two look like you have the most wonderful times together. I really liked the desert when I went down to Palm Springs in February, and now i want to go check it out even more!

    It's like you guys went on the anti-Coachella, hehe.

    xoxo
    Sophi

    ReplyDelete
  23. These photos are amazing! I really love your outdoorsy terrain look- it looks really great on you. And that pile of decomposing fish bones is fairly creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how the pattern and colors of your vest match the rock!!!! This always happens to me, and people call me a chameleon because I tend to match my environment!I love natural occurring coincidences!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never been to Palm Springs, but I think I might add that to my to-do list now. It looks like a nice place for a day trip.

    paperwhales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love those dinosaurs too. hey ash! check out my lookbook for my etsy! maybe you could do a feature on it on your blog, please?

    http://hammocksandtrampolines.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing pictures, I've just discovered your blog and I know your Etsy shop since months ! Too bad the maxi beige skirt is not for sale, ha ha !

    See U !

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your blog - and your pictures of your road trip. I think there's something magical about the open road, and you definitely captured it. I look forward to more posts (:

    love,
    fashionandsugar.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for the comment on my Diana Mini post :)

    Confession time: I've LOVED your blog for the longest time, but for whatever silly reason I've been superrr slow to comment.

    A desert day trip sounds (and looks by your photos) most excellent. Isn't it amazing how varied the US is? There's never a want of anything to see. I need to get back out to California to do some explorin'. Um, I'm pretty much enamored by the idea of roadside attractions. There's a website (Roadside America, I think) listing all this neat stuff by state. I have a running list of the things I want most to see.

    ReplyDelete
  30. my god, what a beautiful place! i have never been to the desert, only to the west coast once and that was san fran! and i have always wanted to go to that dinosaur place ever since i saw it in the pee wee herman movie!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(