4.12.2011

Three Parts

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Outfit Details:
Navy blue bow print maxi dress: thrifted
Gray wool floppy hat: thrifted
Kork Ease sandals: thrifted
Button necklace: DIY

Here I am in my fancy brunchin' outfit. Well, it's not really that fancy but it I felt more gussied up than normal which translates into fanciness for me. It was one of those dreamy Southern California spring days--all sunshine and flowers, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try something new. I've never worn a long dress out in public and I was worried that all of the fabric would read as frumpy but I think the dress is cut in a very youthful way (slightly flaired skirt that has a nice swing to it coupled with 3/4 sleeves and a fun bow print) so all was well in the end.  I actually had to take my hat off later in the day because it was a little too breezy that Sunday (those floppy hats really take off if the wind blows just the right way). 


Also, doesn't that stained glass remind you of Jolly Ranchers? I know that there is a way to make "stained glass" for super fancy gingerbread houses that require baking Jolly Ranchers in the oven. Maybe I'll attempt it one day...


And check out a fast five question Q&A I did over at the French Connection blog, Electrique. You will learn a guilty pleasure of mine if that sweetens the deal any. Check it out HERE


Part Two:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Over the weekend Grant and I came out to support our friend Josh Harmony who just released an album called Lamps. We trekked over to Alex's Bar in Long Beach and surveyed the scene. I'm not really much of a bar goer but Alex's Bar had a nice vibe to it, I suppose you can't really argue with a place that has silver glitter on the ceiling and a photobooth. Anyway, after a set by Ray Barbee Josh went on and he was super great! Talk about talented. 

Bonus: I think J. Mascis (of Dinosaur Jr.) and The Blackheart Procession are playing at this bar next month so if that strikes anyones fancy you should hit this place up! Tickets HERE



Lastly

I know, this post turned out really long but whatever. My blog, my rules! Anyway, I bring you this:
 Photobucket
Photobucket


AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The sweetest, most baby kitten I've ever seen. Grant and I encountered this fellow on Balboa Pier. I guess this kitten was abandoned (along with the brother who was inside the bag also) and this little girl was taking care of them! Too much cute for the day, I nearly passed out.





25 comments:

  1. WOW - you look stunning in those photos!! And I think the dress is just so sweet - the print, length and sleeves !!

    Adorable kittens !! I nearly passed out looking at them on my screen.... my gosh I soooo want a kitten!

    xx christie

    www.christie86.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little kitten is adorable. I love love love your vintage bow dress! The length suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man.... you should never try and compete with animals! I like your gussied up outfit... though I wasn't quite sure at first what the pattern was. Was thinking dog bones, but bows works rather better I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! So cute...I thought the post was finished, and then, all of a sudden...kittens. Whoa. And that dress is pretty fancy fab-you look very Southern debutante-ish to me:)I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH, your photos are so very lovely. The wind is doing amazing things with your hair. I am so ready for it to be breezy and warm here in Portland. I wore a long skirt in public for the first time yesterday too. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww fancy brunchin' outfit. that's cute. I love the bows on it and such. You look amazing. your kitten is so pretty!! I want to pet it. my boys do too (they're very gentle with animals) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet are you in that dress?! I love you posed in front of a white picket fence. ;)

    I'm glad you had fun at your friend's concert. The photo of the disco ball is awesome.

    And omg that little kitten is ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some really fun things that go on at Alex's. My friends DJ a soul and motown night once a month called Secret Affair that is always a ton of fun!

    XO,
    Maurissa
    http://littleghostie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so it's really hard to compose my thoughts after you threw those kitten photos on us. I'm still recovering from the near heart attack I had upon seeing them. SO CUTE.

    Also, I think you look so absolutely lovely in your gussied up outfit. I reblogged it to my tumblr so I can save it for inspiration. You look so quintessentially Californian to me. Carefree & gorgeous. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this thrifted outfit is so dreamy! I just love that bow print maxi dress...what a score.

    That little kitten is adorable. poor wee thing
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the kittens. That's just so cute and sweet that they're being taken care of. Also, at first glance, I thought the bows on your dress were little bones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm dying over that kitten. too precious. i also love the bow print on that dress! darling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that dress! It's gorgeous!!
    and awww that kitten is ADORABLE!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally not frumpy at all! I think the floppy hat helps make the outfit. :)

    (Found your blog while searchign for good OC thrifting - love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. that outfit is just about perfect and you can really rock a hat, you make it look so easy. :)

    and the kittens? well, that just undid me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. KITTY! I was hoping you had adopted one hehe. Also the dress is not frumpy at all, the neckline and bow pattern keeps it flirty & fun. The whole outfit is amazing, LOVE the floppy hat and are you wearing a coin necklace?

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look gorgeous ashley! just wanted to say congrats on winning, you totally deserve it! i'm linking you in my post tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yup I just died of cuteness overload. Your dress, your hat, the dude on the guitar, and a kitten...too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute little kitten and I love the bow print dress. You certainly do make your vintage finds look very youthful. I am constantly afraid that I look like a granny in the vintage I buy.

    Anthea,
    Embracing Style

    ReplyDelete
  20. um...the kitten, oh my gosh. and p.s. congrats on the refinery 29 win!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my favorite look of yours! Everything about that dress is just perfect,and it hangs beautifully on you. Way to thrift Kork-Ease sandals, too, damn! That little kitten is KILLING me. Soooo adorable :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute dress. I love anything navy, but the drape and bows are so great. Definitely not frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome bow dress! You look great :)

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(