4.27.2011

Young The Giant

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Outfit details:
Tan cardigan: thrifted
90s floral babydoll dress: thrifted
knee socks (folder over and over again): H&M
Brown leather lace up boots: thrifted
Tan skinny leather belt: thrifted

Photobucket
I have such beautiful friends


Photobucket
Photobucket

I've pretty much posted this outfit before (different cardigan and shoes) but it shouldn't matter--I wear what I like! This is something I threw on to watch some friends from high school play (a sold out show mind you) at the House of Blues in Anaheim. They're called Young the Giant (I always refer to them as The Jakes, their former incarnation, before hastily correcting myself--sorry guys) and uhh, they're seriously getting so popular. What the heck! It's crazy and so cool! Irvine, besides Will Ferrell, has few hometown heroes so it's always awesome to see local talent (who happen to be pals!) grab the spotlight. If I may wax poetic, I remember many moons ago when they played my friend Chelsea's grad party at The Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney and now fast forward five years later they're playing Lollapalooza. Yeah. Insane.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The energy that night was something I've never experienced before, it was seriously like in the movies when people go to a "rock" concert and the crowd is going crazy and everyone is jumping up and down and clapping hands in perfect synchronicity. At one point, Sameer, the lead singer, dove into the crowd and it was so perfect and looked really fun and everyone was hyped. I mean, I usually go to the typical indie show where everyone is way too cool and just stands, arms folded across their chest, maybe just maybe bobbing their head if they feel inspired. Not at this show!

Photobucket

And look! I got to hang with one of my oldest pals Francois (the drummer!) and it was so nice to be able to joke with him and reminisce about high school days. For those unaware the both of us (along with the bulk of my closest friends who I still hang out with) were heavily into the choral/ theater scene in high school. Like tried out for every play and musical, did drama club (that I was president of my senior year thankyouverymuch), sang in the a capella chamber group, went to choral competitions, etc., etc. The Arts were serious business.  Anyway we've come a long way (compare with below photograph).
Photobucket

To think, there was a time before the ubiquity of the digicam. A photo taken with a handy disposable. This was for a play called  Twin Desperados.

Photobucket

This night was also awesome because I got to meet blog frequenter Brooke (and if I misremembered your name slap me next time you see me, I'm sorry!) Hey girl!! Besides skater guys, I've never had anyone approach me in real life  who has recognized me from my, um, internet hobby (and not anyone half as sweet or cute!) but it was good times. If you think you recognize me come say hey! If I recognize YOU from the internet I will most likely go up to you so be warned ;)

Photobucket
Photobucket

Anyway, a job well done guys! Pitchfork be damned (haters gon hate), you all were amazing. Cheers to more albums to come!

P.S. This is the song they always play on the radio over here, take a listen! It's super, super catchy so don't blame me if it gets stuck in your head!

26 comments:

  1. I love your outfit, and your hair looks amazing!! Such great photos of the band too, looks like so much fun!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome show! I hate when people are too cool to enjoy the band they came to see. :) That dress is too cute on you! (And hooray for choir geeks! Unite!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the shows i go to in ny everyone stands there with their arms crossed too! i have it, i like to get into it and sing and dance if i know the music. everyones too worried about how they look or something to be bothered to dance and let loose. its a damn shame. cool you got friends in a band making it big. i was good friends with a kid in high school thats in a band now.. however its "push play" a pop boy band kinda like the jonas bros i guess. he used to be a real punk kid, great drummer, then he sold out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is one of my favorite outfits of yours! you rock the 90's floral dresses and boots like it's nobody's business! i also have hair envy and want my hair to be as long as yours right nowww.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This outfit is awesome. I love the 90s dress. Perfect! That's so cool about your friends' band. I'm gonna have to check 'em out! Oh & I'm so fed up with Pitchfork. I don't even understand their opinions anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! I'm a big fan of Young the Giant. Love the Twin Desperados pic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ashley!

    I was at that show too- though I went for The Union Line, who played right before Young the Giant. Too bad I didn't see you! You're right, it was PACKED. :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I play their album all the time. I love their videos that they did especially where they just play live in pretty places!! Have you seen those? I'm sure you have, duh. Those are my favorite versions of their songs though. Really cute that you have memories with the drummer and such too. glad you had a good time! you looked lovely. From this video (which i've never seen until now) my older son has similar hair to the singer. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks like so much fun! and your outfit is awesome so it makes sense you would wear it again <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Digg your outfit, especially with that cardigan thrown over. I actually remember going to see the Jakes years back at the House of Blues when Venus Infers also performed. Oops, I never quite got used to their new band name. haha It's awesome that they've gotten so big! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings from London!
    Really enjoying your blog.I have never seen you around as I'm in London but my boyfriend is from Orange County so next time we visit I'll keep an eye out!
    A couple of weeks ago I think I anonymously posted suggestions for you to visit Brick lane on a Sunday/The Up market and to go to Mildreds in soho for Vegan food for your friends. I just remembered that 'Beatroot' in Soho is another great Vegan/Veg place and my vegan sister told me about http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm.
    Other places (not necessarily vegan friendly)I like in London are LCB skate/surf shop and cafe (near brick lane also) and The Troubadour cafe.

    Do you think you can smuggle me some Fat Tire beer over on the plane? it's my favourite and you can't get it anywhere here!
    Love from london,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your outfit. I'm dying over those fabulous boots. :)

    You have such goodlooking friends! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that dress!!!! :D And the sweater too of course, haha, I do love me some sweaters
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this outfit! Those boots are especially cool. You always look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your outfit (especially the socks and boots) gives me ideas : thanks for that !

    See U !

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a really fun video. I hadn't heard of the band before but I would love to hear more. I was also in theater in jr. high/highschool. So many memories of wacky costumes and cast parties after each show.
    Of course, your outfit is totally adorable.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look great ans yes you definitely have beautiful friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoa, I'm diggin' your friend's band! What happened with Pitchfork? I went last year (only on the day LCD Soundsystem was playing). My roommate is going to Lolla this year so I'll haver her to check out Young the Giant (for some reason The Jakes sound familiar-- did they play any shows around L.A. about 4 years ago under that name??).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww I love that picture of you all dressed up for the play! I'm a terrible, terrible actor so I'm slightly jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey ashley! have fun in europe. if you can, send me a postcard! i'll text you/email my address :) (i collect postcards from people who go on trips)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look great and this sounds like an awesome evening!

    Brilliant desperados the both of you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this post, and hurray for friends making it big! I was a right musical theatre/choir/drama nerd in High School too. Still know all the words to lots of cheesy musicals! ; D LOVE that old picture of you guys!

    Pfff, the video is not available in my country. Stupid youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the dress and the boots! Nice outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the dress! Looks like you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooh yes I like Young the Giant and saw them at a $5 show in Chicago in January and now I'll see them again at Lollapalooza. It's crazy how fast they got popular

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(