5.15.2011

Guten tag from Berlin!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Outfit Details:
Blouse: C/O BB Dakota
Gray Jeans: AG
Brown Boots: Target
1960s sunglasses: thrifted
Purse: Flea Market
Head scarf/head band: thrifted scar


Hey from Berlin! We are staying in Mitte (East Berlin) and so far so good. Berlin has such an efficient rail system which will virtually take you anywhere. This is nice because my knee has been killing me on this trip but i'm trying not to let it get me down. Grant and I are staying at a hostel called St. Christopher's (which I think is a British chain) and it's nice. Definitely more of the stereotypical good time/ party place hostel (there is a bar downstairs!) but the rooms are nice and clean and the bathrooms don't look suspicious. Breakfast is included but it's pretty meh ( orange tang?!) but I can't complain too much since it's free food. We're traveling with the Templetons which means eating lots of vegan food and luckily all the places so far have been pretty tasty ESPECIALLY a place in Berlin called Viasko. We went twice! I got the pepper steak with potato carrot gratin and Grant got the spring risotto which prompted everyone to get the risotto on the second visit. Unbelievably delicious. The chocolate mousse thing which is pictured admittedly doesn't look like much but it is so so so good! The texture is nothing I have ever tasted and I will definitely be thinking about it all through this trip. Other delicious food pictured: vegan pancakes with apple, vegan schniztel and potato carrot gratin, some sort of spring pasta dish with the best tempura cauliflower on top! 

A few thoughts on Berlin so far:

  • Berlin is super affordable. You can easily eat for under 5 euro which is great if you are on a budget.
  • It is currently sunny and warm (mid to high 70s) and everyone lays out in parks to work on their tan.
  • I think this is just a Europe thing in general, but flat water can be hard to find at some places! I hate sparkling water (too...spicy?).
  • If you are staying at a hostel, definitely bring sandals to use in the bathroom and ear plugs. I was going to murder whoever was banging around in the hallway a few nights ago but luckily I had earplugs.

21 comments:

  1. the outfit is great! i love the whole military look :) especially the pants and boots
    I'M SO JEALOUS YOU'RE IN BERLIN! I have always wanted to go! I can't wait to see more :DD

    Escape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, Berlin (and Buenos Aires) are absolutely at the top of my list of places to go. Super jealous, and I'm going to have to give vegan food more of a chance in the future (by the way, for when you're in London, there's a place in Camden Town which does vegan food, right near the canal. Anyway, keep it up, loving your travel posts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, I've been to Berlin three times (clearly can't get enough of it)! Looks like you had some amaaazing food too :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Such tasty vegan food in Germany! Everybody just stares at me and asks "so what DO you eat?" when I tell them I am veggie everytime I am on the ocntinent.

    Awesome photos. I love those plates..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you managed to find good Vegan food for your vegan friends! I'm a vegetarian but used to be vegan and sometimes found it hard to find stuff when travelling (more so in countries outside of Europe though).
    Great photos as always! I've never actually been to Berlin even though it's not that far from London! I'm getting itchy feet looking at all your travel pictures so I might need to start booking some plane tickets for the summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy crap, everything that you are eating looks amazing! i was a vegetarian when i was there and i kept accidentally ordering the weirdest food, like lettuce covered in sour cream and hazlenuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool photos. i would like to go to berlin one day & get out of SoCal. the food looks yummy!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you get your movie Ashley? Try german "The other lives" about Stasi. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are so incredibly lucky to be having this experience! i hope you're having a great time. i love looking at your photos and taking a little peak into your trip... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey anon, do you mean The Lives of Others? Because my boyfriend and I got that movie recommendation too. We tried watching it but it was late and I fell asleep but my boyfriend really liked it and watched it all the way through. I'll have to watch it again sometime. Thank you for all the movie tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh this makes me miss Berlin. I was really surprised at how affordable Berlin was, too. Have fun and keep those photos coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl I'm loving all your Europe photos! (I think my favorite was the salt and pepper shakers, haha) You look like you're having a ton of fun! I visited Munich last year and it was so beautiful. I totally had a hard time finding flat water, too. Sparkling water freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely lovely darling pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, loved all the food pictures, I never would have though Germany would have such an amazing Vegan restaurant (the cuisine seems so meat heavy). Was the plate wall located in a restaurant? Want to arrange a wall like that in my kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So lovely to hear about your travels. Thanks for the useful info. It will definitely be helpful for me if I were ever to travel to Europe.

    Anthea,
    Embracing Style

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you do not forget to go to the Prinzlauer Berg district. It is fabulous!!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your advice is very precious to me. You may remember that in late June I'm going to Berlin? I have to remember that there is a problem with the purchase of flat water. Strange. I hate sparkling water same as You.
    Viasko - I will remember. :)
    Ok, so do further exploration of the city. :) I look forward to the next post :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummo food! you look beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the subway looking train looks so clean! I hate the ones in nyc that I've been on a few times. they are so nasty.

    anyway I love those plates!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know exactly what you mean about sparkling water! I keep forgetting to ask for flat or sin gas or just plain tap. Also a horror to me: flavoured vitamin water. Not one of my favourite European improvements.

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(