7.06.2011

4th




















Outfit Details:
Red silk polka dot dress (altered): thrifted
navy blue polka dot silk scarf: thrifted
Kork-Ease sandals: thrifted

A little belated but here is a glimpse of how I spent my fourth.  This day was probably the only day out of the whole year where I felt confident enough to wear this Minnie Mouse approved dress. Let me tell you, I was a huge hit with all the old ladies in town!

The fourth was spent up in Cayucos which is a sleepy coastal town in Central California. It's sort of unique because the town has both an old Western/cowboy as well as a traditional California seaside feel to it. A nice juxtaposition if you ask me. At 10 AM the town held a cute little parade filled with lots of kids on red, white, and blue bedazzled bikes, patriotic pups, and  homemade floats sponsored by local businesses. Certainly a nice change of pace from the usual seaside fourth of July that I'm used to which is 4th of July in Huntington Beach, CA. A waaaaayyy more sordid affair, that's for sure.

Grant and I only stayed until 2 and then we made the 4+ hour drive back to Orange County. After a sushi dinner (the food of patriots) we headed by the local high school to get a free fireworks show. We weren't about to pay $12 to watch fireworks (which Grant tells me is absurd) so we settled in with other folks in a nearby park and were treated to a  display partly obscured by towering eucalyptus trees.

Apparently, because of Irvine's resolve to use low lying fireworks in an attempt to keep the show semi-private, a very minor brush fire broke out courtesy of a few rogue embers and some dry branches.

The school's stadium had to be evacuated.The show only lasted 8 minutes.

Moral of the story? You get what you pay for.

18 comments:

  1. Great photos of your 4th of July festivities. Looked like lots of fun. Love your polka dot dress.

    Miss Bias

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super in love with your polka dot dress.. nice photos ;)

    http://smallfrequentdressing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant shots :) Banana and donut dog had me chuckling and your dress/headband combo is a stunner! Fantastic look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that dress and the double dot combo. The photos of sleepy pups are wonderful too. You have a great eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, love that about the fireworks. Serves them right, the cheapskates! I definitely approve of the minnie mouse dress, particularly with the scarf in your hair. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that's why fireworks are considered non-rival public goods. :)) It's my first blogger 4th of July and I'm lovin' it. Red, white, and blue are currently my favourite colours.

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am forever in love with your polka dotted dress!!

    allister bee blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. you thrifted that entire outfit...including the cork ease sandals....amazing! skills lady...skills!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOLY POLKA DOTTED DRESS! best dress ever. EVER.
    I can't believe in trying to keep people from enjoying the show they let everyone get screwed. that's insane. i love the pics of the classic cars, absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is wonderful.
    I adore dots

    xx Viktoria

    http://fashiondanslacuisine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute dress! I love the sleeping dogs but the picture of the one in the banana kinda freaks me out ha! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a quaint fourth of July you had! I love the photos of the parade (and those adorable doggies!). Your dress is lovely. I'm glad you had a great holiday weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I love your dress, so clearly, I'm an old lady. Also, how lame is it they charged $12 for fireworks? I'm with Grant on that one. I've never even heard of low flying fireworks. Hahaha. And you're not late as far as I'm concerned with your 4th of July post. I still haven't posted my photos of fireworks (probably posting tomorrow). :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos.

    And uhh I wouldn't pay $12 to watch fireworks either =.=
    Oh that really sucks you couldn't watch the whole thing though. You know what? I missed Canada Day fireworks cuz my fam was camping.. in the States all weekend >< Lolol. Talk about un-patriotic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a lot of fun. I wish my town had a 4th of July parade. 12 dollars for fireworks? I've never heard of anyone playing to watch them, especially that much.
    i love your dress, its so adorable and perfect for a parade. I was sent to your blog from a reader of mine and I'm glad I got the suggestion, your blog is great!

    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely dress! Looks like you had a good day. Apart from the low lying fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! the photo of a dog walking down with a doughnut in his mouth is awesome!

    http://hellofridaybypaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(