7.19.2011

Crystal Cove

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Outfit Details:
Southwestern camp shirt: vintage pile sale
1970s denim high waist circle skirt: vintage pile sale
sunglasses: thrifted
brown leather loafers: thrifted

On an afternoon that we were both pretty bored, I asked Grant if we could go to Crystal Cove and check out the little cottages. For those unfamiliar, Crystal Cove is  basically a nature preserve in Orange County that has within it's confines the only piece of undisturbed, like it was way back when, Orange County coast. What makes the park especially cool is that the beach still has a handful of 1920s-1950s beach cottages right on the shore. True, the originals are dilapidated (but as someone who likes that whole "romance of decay" sort of look I don't really mind) but I think it's great to be able to see this part of Southern California the way it used to be. Nevermind that you can see the multimillion dollar homes that are perched on hills directly above the park! Besides the modern visual pollution, this beach has renovated cottages that you can stay in and what makes them extra awesome is that the insides have been restored to their 1930s (or 40s or 50s) grandeur.  This means the furniture and textiles inside are all of the period which is awesome. Even though I live like 15 minutes away I'd consider staying in these cottages, I'm just such a sucker for historical places!

On a more fashion related note, I found my new favorite blouse at La Bomba last weekend. I don't think I'v ever seen a Southwestern print that I didn't like (minus the offerings from Cold Water Creek, that is) but I'd say the print on this blouse is the best i've seen in a while. What's even better is that this shirt was $3

PS Tomorrow morning I'm doing a live style chat over at Rue La La's Facebook page, come ask me a question!

PPS I'll be updating the store tomorrow so stay tuned for some pretty things. Namely 1950s-60s frocks in an array of dreamy blues and the best ever novelty equestrian button up (which I'm so tempted to keep!)

PPPS Don't forget to enter my giveway to win $50 to my store, Three Feathers! Giveaway ends tomorrow night and I'm picking the winner and announcing Thursday!

29 comments:

  1. What glorious photos, I need to get to Crystal Cove asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this whole outfit, and I totally agree - all southwestern prints are good except for Coldwater Creek! You hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I LOVE crystal cove! I was in Newport with my family last year and we happened upon it and I was freaking out at the nancy drewness of everything. SO quaint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal cove sounds dreamy. I love your skirt and south western shirt combo. tres bien!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. The fourth one with the larger man in the background kinda cracks me up. :D I've been looking for a skirt like that at the thrift stores. I've got a few favorited on etsy, but I'm sure I can find one myself, right?
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely !

    http://gourmandisesettalonshauts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that place looks amazing!! I want to go stay there!!! :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what a beautiful place. Those historical homes sound really awesome too. I am such a sucker for stuff like that!

    I love your photos per usual & totally agree about southwestern prints. I fall in love with all of them. That shirt is dope & I love it paired with the denim skirt. This is the perfect outfit to me. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful scenery, outfit, etc. as always! :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I am extremely jealous of that blouse. I love the print!

    http://www.acidzip.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. great top! also, it looks so pretty and charming there

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww i love how you guys are always up for little adventures! you look very lovely and so many colorful pebbles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos, looks like you had a great time! Cute outfit :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love places like this. I feel in them the spirit of the past.
    Is this the place where Grant found my crystal?
    Yes! I got your package. A neighbor brought me today. Imagine that the postman dropped a letter to the wrong mailbox. But everything ended well. Thank you very much for a wonderful surprise. I love everything you sent!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are beautiful photos! i love how your skirt blends with the water :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tidepools are totally on my summer list. Looove these photos, they're quintessential summer. :) And that top kicks ass!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your shirt. You are so breathtakingly beautiful in these photos. I love it when you wear your hair down. You have really beautiful hair. :)

    I agree, the 1930s southern Cali was waaaaaay cooler than it is now. I would much rather live in a cozy retro bungalow on the beach rather than a Mcmansion!

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice photo and outfit !

    http://choccopost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This place looks stunning and you look gorgeous :) Love this skirt and the print on your blouse is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This all sounds really lovely. I think I'll have to add this to the places I'm going to ask my boyfriend to drive me to the next time we go to visit his family in Orange County!! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I get bored, I want to have fun like you do. what a beautiful place and great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love this!!! The Southwestern inspired shirt and the denim skirt is the perfect summer combination. And it looks like quite a lovely summer trip. I didn't know there was a nature preserve in Orange County?! I need to visit the next time I am down there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. i will pay $10000000 for that shirt. if you ever decide to put it in your store email MEEEE!
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thrifted a pair of shorts that goes with that shirt! Literally must be the same fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. In love with the high waisted skirt and oh my the beach is gorgeous! Looks like a lovely day.

    http://bellagetsreal.blogspot.com
    Bella

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(