9.04.2011

Photography Files: William Eggleston

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


All photographs by William Eggleston. Photos from The Eggleston Trust and Art Tattler



William Eggleston is an American photographer who pretty much took color photography to the next level, greatly adding to the medium's legitimacy. Best known for his vibrant color photographs depicting the American South during the 1970s, Eggleston's photographic skill magically transforms the mundane into the majestic.  The dull into the divine.

I mean,  for real, he took photos of horribly ordinary things (a white ceiling fan on a while wall, for instance) but somehow through his vision and with a little help from dye-transfer printing (which is how he was able to create his highly saturated images) these ordinary objects became so much more.

 My favorite photo is of the long haired red headed girl in profile, she kind of reminds me of Guinevere. Oh and the first photo, can't you just feel the sunshine?Also, to segue this into fashion--his photographs are prime inspirational fodder for the whole color blocking/ unusual color combination trend that is going on right now.  So much inspiration. Hope you could find some in his work, too :)



(This is a new series so expect more posts on great photographers!)

14 comments:

  1. His work is beautiful! How does he capture color and light like that? I've always loved the one of the gray hair lady with her hair done up perfectly. I'm excited for this photo series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great ! Can't wait for your next photographer post ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Eggleston is definitely one of the greats. The last photo of the woman sitting is one of my favorites from him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I watched a documentary on Eggleston in one of my photo classes. The guy was (is he still alive?) very strange, but took great photographs.

    I'm looking forward to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are fantastic. they really take you into a story. thanks for sharing!

    xx kaitlyn
    thehypermanikin

    ReplyDelete
  6. william eggleston is my favorite favorite and he inspired me to no end.
    so lovely to see someone else actually into photography/knows photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Da back of yo head is ridiculous!" LOL, why's that photograph reminding me of Alice from the Brady Bunch? Also, Gary Oldman as Dracula. I particularly like the (defunct) swing set and dolls atop the Cadillac hood. What an exciting series; can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these pictures. They look like authentic snapshots into the past - especially the doll photo. Although it freaks me out, I LOVE how they are arranged on a Cadillac, like the daughter of a typical family from the 60s put them there.

    xo Sherrie
    Closet Hound

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the swanky yellow hotel room photo

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for this! i'd felt so alone in my eggleston love. i guess he's not everyone's cup of tea, but it turns out i'm not that weird! i think his photography is so delicately and beautifully evocative and provocative. he is a master of capturing light and time, and he can turn the profane to sacred. yes, for example, his photos of trash on a carpet and glare on a hotel window seem so avant garde and/or modern to me in subject and technique. his work is both fleeting and timeless, intimate and removed, smart and banale. i'd love to engross myself in more of his collections and to know his processes. what is that documentary called? xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Eggleston's work - so saturated. His use of colour is just a-mazing. The first shot is one of my favourites, also the boy in the red sweater always gets me.

    Looking forward to more of your favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i somehow just found out about him this year and became obsessed! i love the one of the old lady hairdo from behind, just genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this, definitely a new favourite for me now. Each photo captures a such a simple moment but with such beautiful and delicate light and colour they become so much more.
    And by the way, love the hair, very Parisian. I have had a short pixie cut for 2 years and have just started growing it out, its at that weird shaggy bowl cut stage, so hard not to cut, but I will persevere!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(