9.08.2011

Vintage Button Collar DIY







Outfit Details:
1960s yellow cardigan: thrifted
DIY vintage button collar
BB Dakota lace slip dress
Suede oxfords: thrifted


First of all, I wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who left such nice comments about my new hairs! I was a little nervous about how people would take it but I'm glad we're all on the same page. Change is good, right?

Secondly, a small rant: PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS. Sorry for all the ugly bandwidth exceeded messages around this joint. I have literally no idea why this is happening. I have a pro account that is supposed to automatically renew each month (to avoid this problem) but I checked and it didn't renew for September.  Why it didn't, I'm not sure.  It bites because I can't  just manually pay for this month since my account  allegedly "auto renews". Sent off two messages today. Bahumbug.  First world tech problems.


ANYWAY

Here is the vintage button collar project that I had been working on. I remember seeing a cardigan like this at Anthropologie a long, long time ago and it always stuck with me so here's my version! It was really easy to do and took me about an afternoon to complete. I used vintage buttons that I got in little bags from the flea market for a $1. I think all flea markets  are bound to have someone peddling bags of old buttons somewhere on the grounds. I really wanted to use vintage buttons because the quality is better, the colors are cooler, and they just look nicer. But of course, any buttons will work.

Materials:
Buttons (I think I used around 60)
Woman's Cardigan ( I specify because even though I usually wear men's cardigans, a lady's cardigan has a better collar to work with)
Needle
Thread

1. Sew buttons following the curve of the collar. Repeat rows until you achieve the desired thickness for your collar.

That's it!

17 comments:

  1. Ohh it turned out really great. I love the little subdued colored buttons. I wonder if I could find vintage buttons here :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this oh so much!!! I definitely would love to make one of these! I have a bunch of antique gold buttons that I wanna do something with. And lovely hair!! It fits you just divinely. :)

    http://forte-espressivo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have so many buttons, I must do this!

    Aryn
    Driftwood and Daydreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress and the shoes you look way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute, girl. and your short pretty cute cute hair frames it nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should make (me) one with a peter pan collar made out of buttons. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow this is such a clever diy, i am swooning over this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love individualized clothing! This looks so wonderful! Might have to steal the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I love your hair! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out sooo cute! Love! P.S. Time to switch to Flickr for photo hosting? I gave up on PB too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Normally I'm not that into diy-ing my clothes (unless it's cutting jeans into shorts or something) but this is simple and lovely. May have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awwww man, this is such a cute idea - very very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea. I always feel that some sweaters need some kind of decorative collar and this would surely do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great DIY and oh my, that dress of yours is crazy gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(