10.11.2011

DIY: GLITTER STAR CLIP

Photobucket

Finally, a new DIY! This one was inspired by the fact that  I almost spent $18 on a single hair clip at Anthropologie. I quickly came to my senses and realized that I could probably make not one, but a bunch of hair barrettes for the same price. Read on to learn how to do it, it's cinchy!

Photobucket
Photobucket (leather remnants (which you can find at the craftstore. I got mine at Michael's) , glitter (I used gold), scissors, flat hair clips (from CVS), a fine point Sharpie, super glue, a paint brush, ModPodge (I bet regular elmer's glue would work too, though), a small container to work in, and tape)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Step 1: Grab a leather scrap and trace a star onto the rawhide side. I fished out a thicker piece from the bag (the scrap bag will have a variety of leather thicknesses for you to choose from) for a sturdier star but I'd like to try using thinner leather for next time. Also, as you can see I'm incapable of drawing a perfect star but that's okay! I think the imperfect shape looks better as a final result ;-)


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Step 2: Grab your scissors and cut out the stars you drew. Not gonna lie, part of the reason why I want to use thinner leather for next time is that it was difficult to cut the stars out of the piece of thick leather. Obviously, I survived so don't let that deter you!


Photobucket


Step 3: Flip your stars over and brush the rawhide side with ModPodge. The reason I did this was because I was concerned about the rawhide shedding/ deteriorating so I thought that putting a protective coat of ModPodge couldn't hurt (you can also see how off I was with my star shape to scissor cut ratio. Ayayay!!)

Photobucket

Step 4: Take your container (mine is an old takeout lid) and sprinkle your glitter inside. I sort of messed up and put glue inside the container (that's why it looks kinda chunky) but that didn't really matter.  Then paint the non rawhide side of your star with ModPodge and press that side into the glitter.

Photobucket
Step 5: Take the stars out and wait for the glue to dry a little (a few minutes). Then, repaint with ModPodge and dip again. You want to firmly press the star into the glitter to make sure the surface is entirely covered. Keep repeating this step until you are satisfied with the glitter's opacity (not pictured: Rogue sparkles everywhere? Get a piece of tape and lift the glitter with it)


Photobucket


Step 6:  Whip out the super glue and your clips. Apply a thin layer of super glue to wherever you want your stars to be. I did both a single star placement at the end and a double star. (TIP: It's imported to get clips that are wide and flat because it gives you more surface area to stick your stars on)

Photobucket
The double star!


Photobucket

Tada! There you have it, glitter star clips that anyone can make. And I mean anyone (you saw all the misadventures I had to go through to make these! Proof positive that you don't have to be the world's best crafter to make stuff ;-) Final notes:  I would wait overnight for all the glues to thoroughly dry before you wear the clip. Follow my advice because I learned the hard way by being overeager and wearing my clip that night which resulted in me getting super glue in my hair. Fun timez.

12 comments:

  1. super cute and it's easy enough for me to try. Thanks for the tutorial! xoxo

    http://hellofridaybypaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Great idea! Looks so pretty in your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je m'excuse tout de suite de faire de la pub de cette façon.
    J'ai ouvert un blog ou je vend quelques pièces vintage qui pourraient t’intéresser.
    Mon blog est le suivant :
    http://trouvaillesenfripe.blogspot.com/
    Pas d'obligation d'achat bien entendu ;)
    Tu peux également laissé un commentaire pour donner ton avis.
    Merci beaucoup d'avoir pris le temps de lire ce msg. :)
    Bonne continuation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable. I probably would've just used a thick cardboard or something but leather is a better idea. where do you get scrap leather? I've been trying to get some for a DIY zipper clutch but Im not sure if I should just buy a rejected leather maxiskirt from a thriftstore or if there are better options.


    vestigialwings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love DIY hair accessories!! I will definitely be trying this one!! It looks fab with your bob!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow well done lady it turned out great and i love the gold glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally saw these on an Etsy about a million years ago and was like "WTF DO THEY USE FOR THE STARS THOUGH!!!" cause I was all "Pssh I can do that" You are a GENIUS. I bow down to your brilliance. Scrap leather. YES! Thank you xo

    PS- Doesn't short hair make you crave a million little hair bobbles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna do this when I get back to a country with craft stores! (or craft stores that contain scrap leather, apparently it doesn't happen here). Also, I love your asymmetrical stars... very Joan Miró!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out super cute! Thanks for sharing the DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, I love stars, so I automatically love this DIY :D I'm definitely bookmarking it to try later- thanks for sharing!

    starcrossedsmile knits
    star-crossed smile

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look lovely and I'm sure you could sell a few even!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really great!!! Your clips are beautiful! Did you just buy regular hairclips to do this?

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(