2.26.2012

around the old town

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Outfit Details:
Vintage button up: thrifted
High waist pleated heart shorts: gift from Grant
Sandals: thrifted
Sunglasses: Asos

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Hi! Here is a quick, disjointed recap before I run out the door...

 We live across the street from an old chapel that, for a long time, used to be sort of dilapidated and run down. I remember when I was younger i was convinced that the chapel was haunted and stuff. Didn't help that it was boarded up and just plain creepy looking. Well fast forward a decade, a new facade, and some refurbishing work and now the chapel is in working order and really quite beautiful. We got to climb up to the bell tower and poke around the place which was fun.


It seems that parades are a big deal over here. There is pretty much a parade for anything and everything. A few days ago my grandma woke us up and told us to come down stairs because a parade was about to start. Grant and I rushed to the porch and saw hundreds of middle school aged children walking down the street. I'm not sure why but there were a few costumed  people peppered throughout the line which was cool to see, especially because their costumes were kind of crazy in the best way possible. I think news got around that some American people (us) were on the porch because the kids would wave at us and yell out "Hey Joe!!" to Grant. Joe being a general term for white American guy I think. Grant has gotten called Joe a lot here so far.

When I pictured going to a cockfight, I was thinking small. Maybe some sort of backyard operation with men crouching down and placing bets while motorbikes and jeeps sped by. Well, my uncle took us to a cockfighting arena and let's just say things got crazy. Definitely not a lot of women in attendance, mostly men. Lots of yelling and bet placing. We got a seat near the front and only stayed to see 4 matches (each match lasts like 2-3 minutes long). Cockfighting is definitely a cultural thing and while some may find it reprehensible, I will say that once it is clear which rooster has lost, death comes pretty swiftly via a blow to the neck delivered by the victorious bird. 

One morning my family and I woke up at dawn to go to the fish bond and take a boat ride. All was very peaceful as our banca (boat) slipped into the water. Lots of birds were out fishing and seeing them zoom by and drop to the water only to retrieve a whole fish in their talons was a sight to see. Wish I could of captured that on film.

Hope everyone is doing well! Thanks for reading while my blog has transitioned into a travel one :)

23 comments:

  1. your trip looks amazing!! i love the heart shorts!

    Xo,
    steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh! So jealous. Keep having fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're having an amazing time! I love these photos, especially the last one!!
    Poor roosters....
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fabulous and I love those shorts. So fresh and perfect look for spring. Beautiful post and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Philippines so much! Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. When my husband visited my town, he was also called "JOE" a lot. A term that Filipino uses to foreigner guys. :) You look absolutely wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the shorts are just adorable, great photos as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your travel blogging and am really enjoying the glimpse into the Philippines.

    Cock fighting gets a thumbs down from me though... along with bull fighting. But your point was an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap, Ashley! My boyfriend and I actually just got back from the Philippines this past Saturday. It was his first time there as well. Hope you guys are having a blast and this will be a memorable one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying these travel posts. I'm learning so much about the Philippines and your photos have been awesome. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. first of all your shorts are super cute!!! second love how they have parades for everything!!! i love you travel photos!!! keep-em coming!

    nataliya
    sewniice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all these travel pictures, nice to see a different part of the world, the pictures are top!

    a+

    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your shorts. Adorable! It sounds like you're having a wonderful time back home. These photos are stunning, especially the one of "Joe" releasing a bird. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you're enjoying the Philippines :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am loving these photos. i can't wait to see the rest of them and hear more about your trip.
    also! can't wait to see grant's photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg, these photos are amazing! thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ahhh you are beautiful, that outfit is perfect! and what cool photos - makes me want to run away to somewhere warm. cock fighting sounds hardcore, I think I'd just stay for four matches too. looks like you guys are having an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely LOVE that last picture! So tranquil xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really really love that you mix your amazing outfits (those heart shorts, ahh!) with cultural and lifestyle photography. I need to start adding more shots of what is going on around me, and less of me! Thanks for sharing your terrific photography and insights! Happy monday!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your outfits! but cock fighting is disgusting - why kill an Innocent animal?

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds amazing being on that fishing boat at dawn & you'd def never guess w/ that chapel. Love the little parade & how many cultural things you were able to do, so lucky for Grant you have family there!
    http://dusanabotswana.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh & you look completely adorable again, what great shorts & simple but pretty sandals!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(