3.28.2012

changing it up

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 Photos by Grant Hatfield


Clothing available at MILK TEETHS vintage


1990s floral mini dress/ skater dress/ xs-s

Dr. Martens wing tip oxfords US 5

So I am trying out something new with the store. At first I had the idea of creating a look book since I had just bought up a bunch of great vintage over the weekend and figured that would be a nice way to show it off. However, I thought about it some more and realized that  the problem with a creating a look book for my pieces was that pretty much all of the items had to be shot the same way, with the same location, and they had to evoke the same theme or feeling. Well, I realized that wasn't going to work because a lot of what I bought was so different, it would be silly to shoot everything the same way, It wouldn't make any sense!

I'd like to think that all of the pieces that I bought for the store have these different back stories. I often catch myself wondering about my buyers and why they are attracted to some of the things in the shop. Was it the girl who has every issue of Lula Magazine and watches Sofia Coppola movies with her cat while drinking ginger ale out of a porcelain teacup who bought the peter pan collar dress in the shop? Or maybe it was the 22 year old girl with the shaved head and pet rat who currently plays bass in that one experimental noise rock band?  I'll never know which it is but It sure is fun to imagine.

Anyway, for a little while I will be posting these hybrid look book/ "outfit" posts. It was fun getting to take on these different characters for the sake of this little project. I can't wait to show you what else is up my sleeve :)

15 comments:

  1. sweet doc marten's!

    blooomingdaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love your vivid imagination. :) I know a half-Indian journalist who drinks pink champagne and listens to Morrissey who thinks you're fabulous. Just sayin.

    Gorgeous outfit, as always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea so much. Especially since outfit photos are everywhere and are all pretty similar—at least in that they are just girls standing in random environments. The idea of a narrative within the photos is much more engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great idea and these photos are SO awesome. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gorgeous gal. I love your dress and the persona you have here :) can't wait to see these posts! When clothes are styled and have life and movement in them through photos, they incite me even more!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the shoes! your feet are so tiny haha. looking forward to more of these types of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that shot of you from the back & the white door. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think this is a great idea. because you show how you would style it, plus gives you additional blog outfits, plus creates a faux look book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOur shoes are amazing!!

    xx HAUNTED

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loveee this dress! perfect ode to the 90's


    http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this idea! I feel very similarly about photographing items- half the fun is planning and styling the entire look, and how the clothing fits into it. I'm excited to see what you come up with. it'll add distinct spice to an already intriguing concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the contrast of the blue and purple... i feel like i don't see it often enough!!! xxxxx


    love, polly :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My best friend had those same shoes when we were younger. I sometimes wonder what happened to all the clothes/shoes we all used to wear that ended up in Goodwills or thrift stores; it would be insane to see something you recognized as yours from a long time ago in some etsy shop. Hahaha.

    Also, tell Grant, great photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that's a fantastic idea! I would definitely want to see all the different lookbook photos :)

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(