4.25.2012

cake stop

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



I neglected to post these photos from a few weeks ago when Grant and I went up to Caycuos but here they are! I  think I had first come across the Madonna Inn within the pages of the book Weird California (an awesome book that details strange attractions, weird touristy road stops, haunted places, etc. in California. Definitely recommended if you like that sort of stuff) but it was only until recent that we actually checked out the place.

As you can see, gaudy is an understatement. The whole place, which is an amazing hotel with different, terrible/ kitchy themed rooms,  is insanity. Hot pink and gold every which way, clashing carpets, bunches of fake fruit, twinkly lights, 1970s architecture...you get the idea.

Anyway, we took a pit stop for some cake  at the Copper Cafe before heading back to Orange County. Grant and I shared a slice of the "Pink Champagne" cake which sizable, to say the least. It was pretty good but next time I'm going to get a piece of the black forest cake (the pink shavings are what won me over but lawddd knows I'm a chocolate gal at heart). Bonus points must be given for the sole fact that the drinks were served in multi color carnival glass goblets. The pink sugar was a nice touch too.

BOTTOM LINE: Cool touristy stop, definitely recommend a visit if you're heading up or down the California coast.

21 comments:

  1. That place is hilarious! I feel like America kind of leads the pack on having random as hell places like this. And that cake is... pink. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I honestly can't imagine being in a place like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah!! That looks so fun!! haha :D :D Too bad it's all the way across the country, pooo :p
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is amazing, thanks for sharing, I am going to write this place down for my up coming trip to California ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place is spectacular! It reminds me of a story by Francesca Lia Block. Its so colorful and fun and weird. Great pics, and thanks for the tip if I ever make it out to CA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, first, that book sounds like the perfect road trip. I would love to just quit my job and spend the entire summer going up and down the Cali coast visiting all those awesome places.

    Second, that restaurant looks so hideously fabulous, I want to faint.

    Third, that cake equals OMFG.

    I want to be you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cutest diner ever! 50's perfection

    http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. the madonna inn looks like a heavenly dream!

    xo,
    Steffy
    http://steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww yeah you guys were in my hood! In high school we had our winter formals there (awesome). My favorite part is the porcelain doll on a swing that greets you when you walk in the door. And on certain nights they have an old school bandstand and you can go swing dance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This place looks like fun! loving the pink overload!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGAAHH, check out the decor! SO AMAZING. That booth, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. So PINK photos ;))))
    And you look so chic. :) But it is nothing new ;)
    Thank you for follow me on IG :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice pics! esp. the one in the mirror.
    I'm envious of those who had their high school formals there -- sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa. That place is... I don't even know, ha. I've got to check it out one day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This place has always looked so awesome! I'm kicking myself for never having stopped yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A friend of mine came back from the Madonna Inn with that cake! And I ate it. haha. Also, why does your boyfriend remind me of a young Brad Pitt?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. NO EFFING WAY does this place exist!! You look so badass among the pink booths :) what an awesome place to discover, read about, and then visit! And that cake?! My family and I sometimes go to this kooky restaurant in Florida, but I'd say the Madonna Inn wins...if you want to check it out you can find it here: http://amberlysara.blogspot.com/2012/01/bubble-bubble.html <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Madonna Inn = best worst place ever!! The gentleman's restroom is especially worth checking out (perhaps your fella did?!). The "urinal" consists of a giant faux rock mountain scene complete with flowing waterfall. The fellas just stand right up to it and whizz in. Amazing!...Gah, I'm kind of mortified. First time I'm commenting on your blog and I used the word whizz. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This place is GLORIOUS. I love how the food is as tacky as the decor. and pink sugar!!!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(