5.27.2012

vintage score! pretty bits and pieces from the 20s-30s

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Last weekend Grant and I checked out this awesome costume and vintage clothing sale in Hollywood that is held once a year as a sort of spring cleaning sale. The costume house, Western Costume Company, is one of the oldest in Hollywood and has been outfitting actors since the '20s so of course this meant that their vintage stock would be insane. The sale opened at 8AM and we thought we were being extra proactive by getting there around 7:20. Well, turns out this sale is a big deal because we rolled up and there must have been at least 100 people in line before us.  Not good.

Once the sale actually started things got pretty ruthless, lots of people yelling and fighting over things, high words being exchanged, total pandemonium...you get the picture. I was really overwhelmed, in fact, because there was just so much stuff and so many people. Luckily, I found a few great pieces of clothing but strangely what I was most excited about was something that I didn't even realized would be at this sale: vintage sewing notions, millinery supplies, and other pretty bits and pieces.  And at a $1 per huge ziploc bag, a total score!

I thought I'd share some of my favorite pieces in these bags. Most of these supplies are from the 20s-30s and just feeling the old ribbons, feathers, and silk flowers was such a great tactile trip through time.  I think I'll take a go at making some pins and barrettes for the shop using these materials. Can't wait to start getting crafty again.


PS: Memorial Day sale at MILK TEETHS vintage! Take 15% off all orders using code "hellosummer" now until Monday night :)

5 comments:

  1. isn't it wonderful when you get excited about something you didn't realize would excite you? =) sounds like chaotic fun! I'm glad you found something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sale sounds amazing... wish i lived in california!

    Xo,
    steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 20s/30s are my favourite era for clothes and accessories. I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff. Have fun getting crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so crazy, 40 minutes before and a huge line! I cant deal with crowds so I'm probably missing out :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine how crazy it must have been there, overwhelming! All those bits and pieces look beautiful, so delicate.

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(