6.14.2012

Cactus and Desert Flora

I collect paper travel ephemera, my favorite being small vintage souvenir booklets that have pretty kodachrome photos. I regularly troll ebay for them, looking for estate lots so that I can tuck a few of these pretty pictures in my orders. I've been meaning to share what could possibly be my favorite of these booklets, so here goes.  Hope you like the photos as much as I do!

Photobucket

Photobucket 
"Saguaro Cactus Flowers. The flowers of the Saguaro or Giant Cactus appear on the branch tips of these towering desert denizens in springtime". 

Photobucket "Hedgehog Cactus. Sometimes called the Strawberry Cactus because of its strawberry like fruit, the Hedgehog, with its pink blossoms and golden spines, contributes immensely to the color of the desert in springtime".

Photobucket
"Joshua Tree Forest. Weird and grotesque in form, the Joshua is probably the most spectacular of desert growth".

Photobucket
"Prickly Pear Cactus. This common desert cactus, one of the first to bloom each spring, has blossoms ranging from very light yellow to deep red. They hold their blossoms longer than any other desert flora".

Photobucket
"Prickly Pear Cactus Bloom. A low rambling cactus found profusely throughout the desert. Blooming in spring, the prickly pear displays flowers of rich yellow and orange".

Photobucket
"Desert Yucca. Here the rugged Yucca lends its beauty to the miles upon miles of desert color".

Photobucket
"Ocotilla. One of the most spectacular of all the colorful flora which bloom on the desert each spring. The fire-red blossoms resemble the tassels of the buggy whips common in grandfather's day".

Photobucket
"Organ Pipe Cactus. Resembling the pipes of an organ, this cactus grows in Southern Arizona and on on south into Mexico".

Photobucket
"Desert creatures found throughout the arid sections of the great Southwest".

Photobucket
"Found only in Southern Arizona, the Saguaro or Giant Cactus is one of the Southwest's 'trademarks'. The blossoms are the Arizona state flower".


14 comments:

  1. aw! this makes me so homesick for arizona! I'll always be a desert girl. such GREAT images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the clouds in the yucca pic are amazing! I love the animal illustrations! thanks for scanning! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i just noticed how hairy that tarantula is drawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool, thanks for sharing these awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love how big in size all the flowers all, they're really pretty. I've never really taken the time to appreciate cacti before but these are all nice photos
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these. So cool. They make me miss out West.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have made me homesick, but I am loving the images. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these, thanks for sharing! Makes me miss camping out in Joshua Tree, it's one of my favorite weekend getaway destinations in Southern California. The Cholla Cactus Garden deep inside the park is beautiful, especially in Spring when the flowering are blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this! I love any natural prints or pictures. Reminds me of the nature table when I was in school and visits to the natural history museum as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! Love these! especially the organ and giant cactus ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ★ (・∀・)

    love pictures on your blog :) very nice layout. clean and charming. love your blog.
    i am following you, would you like to follow me back? -:)

    my blog (≧∀≦) σ : http://www.christianyuen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love! Heading to Arizona this fall, can't wait to see some of these.

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(