7.02.2012

breton


Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo

Outfit details:
breton shirt: thrift store
vintage trousers: thrift store
suede oxfords: thrift store
giant flower pin: DIY (flower was from a grab bag of millinery supplies from the 20s-30s I bought a while ago)

For a while I have been feeling uninspired with my clothing. I look over my closet and scan through my drawers with that tired but true proverbial fashion cliche ringing through my ears: I have nothing to wear. Logically, I know it's far from the truth but to me it feels like I have come up with every conceivable permutation, configuration, and combination of pieces of clothing to turn into an outfit. There's nothing left!

After I weeded out a pile of clothing to donate it dawned on me that I hadn't bought a piece of clothing from an actual brick and mortar retail store in a year. And it was only one piece at that! As you know, most of my clothing is thrifted and while that's good and great I realized that perhaps I was due for a trip to the mall. Or two.

Even though I do a lot of shopping for my vintage store I very rarely keep anything for myself. The other day I decided to go thrifting ~only for me~ and it was a revelation! I really don't remember the last time I went thrifting for myself. Seems like it was in high school.

Anyway, besides thrifting I went and visited some stores over the weekend and it's a wonder how buying up a few pieces (on sale, of course) can make you feel like you've got a brand new wardrobe.  Feels good to be excited about putting together outfits again.

12 comments:

  1. i feel the same way when i go and pick up a few new, cheap, usually 20 dollars or less, pieces. it feels all new and fresh and exciting and that you have so much more to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an adorable outfit! i am guilty of picking up a piece for myself on every thrifting excursion, but it has to be something i've been looking for, or very much on sale. i wish i had your discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been shopping, retail or thrift, in ages. I do believe this post has inspired (tempted) me to hit the stores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so French Riviera in that outfit. Super jealous of that Breton shirt, the fit is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a creative, pretty outfit! You have really great style, I love all your posts!

    www.vintagelillies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i end up buying so much at thrift stores that the next time i go i'm dropping off just as much!!! love this top!!!

    nataliya
    sewniice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this vintage look, really cute

    www.fashiable.nl

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit is super relaxed but very cute!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I love this outfit! It is so cute! The cropped pants are awesome and they look great with the shoes.

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, I haven't checked your blog for such a long time and now look at it! New design! New outfits!
    Needless to say, I love this outifit. You look amazing as always!

    Life is a romantic poem

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(