8.23.2012

Hearst Castle


Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo

Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo


Outfit Details:
1940s floral dress: thrift store
sungalsses: LuLu*s
Worishofer sandals: Amazon

So I wrote a really long entry and then when I went to save it it got erased. NOT COOL.

To summarize, Grant and I finally went to Hearst Castle a few weeks ago and it was great. We took a tram ride up to the castle while the voice of Alex Trebek regaled us with choice tidbits about WRH like the one time where he kept polar bears in his private menagerie and the caretakers would give them occasional blocks of ice to to chew on. 

We decided to go on the bedroom tour and yes, it was grand which was to be expected. However, Grant and I couldn't believe that actual human people willingly lived in this mansion. We thought the rooms were 1. depressing, 2. grim, 3. possibly haunted. WRH  loved his antiquities and he liberally decorated with them. A rebuilt Renaissance era church ceiling here, thousands of year old Greek and Roman pottery there, priceless Flemish oil paintings scattered around...you know, the usual.  

Anyway, while we thought the insides of the castle were a bit foreboding, the grounds are entirely amazing and so inviting. Julia Morgan, the architect who built this estate, really did a stand up job. It was really hot on the day we went and Grant and I definitely were eyeing the pools longingly. I guess the next weekend was Hearst Castle Employee swim day--how awesome would that be to splash around in the pool?!

Definitely worth a visit if you're up in the Central Coast.

22 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I've never heard of this. The insides are kind of ugly-pretty. Is that last picture an indoor pool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word, "Rosebud".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a cool location! I wouldn't mind living there, but I do like creepy things, ha ha
    I'm loving that dress on you :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, living in San Diego, Hearst Castle is definitely a place I need to check out sometime, as well as Catalina Island. That dress is beautiful and it's nice to see a post where you're smiling in almost every picture :)

    xo
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss it so much! Despite the fact that at least 3 of my friends' parents work at the Castle I have still never gone with them on a swim day, but I certainly am planning on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this is amazing! I'd read about the castle and their obscene wealth and so on, but had no idea it was actually as nuts as this. I'd love to go for a splash in one of those pools... and then go sleep somewhere normal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The outside of the house is breathtakingly gorgeous. Truly spectacular. As for the inside, you're right. It appears gloomy and stuffy.

    I'm really surprised they keep the pool up at that place though. Is the pool kept up just for appearances? Or do they actually rent out the mansion for weddings or social events, so the pool gets used? I don't know why that bothers me. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pools are kept up because they draw the visitors in, it's one the main selling points to Hearst Castle "come see the amazing pools!" The castle is in the care of the state so I don't think any part can be rented out to the public, I was leaning on a pillar by the pool and was told to knock it off so they really don't want people disrupting things. HOWEVER, they do have employee pool days which is amazing. A huge perk of working there if you ask me. Also they occasionally auction off private pool parties ($5,000 for a night) in the name of "charity".

      Delete
  8. lovely place!!! and you look adorable with your sunnies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with you about the hearst castle - it is ridiculously grand but creepy

    ReplyDelete
  10. this place is amazing! and your outfit looks great clashing wickedly with all the crazy mosaics. also, maybe its coz i'm english and creepy is our jam, but i would 100% live in there with the ghosts, YUM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. so is california just filled with these candy colored castles or is that just how i imagine it in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, I've been a reader for a long time, but never commented. I've been inspired to explore more of what OC has to offer with all your trips to the beach out there. This past weekend I finally was able to get to Victoria Beach and I can not believe how amazing it is. Thanks for sharing and showing us so many treasures! And! I noticed your bf at a Cuates show in LB, but you weren't there... I wanted to say hello! (my bf grew up skating with Leo and Chris so we'll be at all their shows)... maybe next time!
    *Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whooaa WHAT! First of all please come say hey! I've been to a few of their shows so I'm bummed that I wasn't around when you were there. And secondly, isn't Victoria beach great! Probably my favorite beach in Orange County, that castle tower and salt pool really make it. I hope to run into you sometime soon :)

      Delete
    2. Next time I will for sure say hello, they're playing a lot of shows, so hopefully soon : ) I look forward to seeing more of your OC hidden gems too! I love finding cool places in and around LA since I moved back recently from SF and try to keep up my blog with updates on those adventures. I love to share tips, so let me know if you ever need any recs!

      Delete
  13. when we were traveling in calif this past june, josh really wanted to check it out. he went as a little kid and wanted to see what it was like to see it as an adult. for one reason or another we decided against it. we will have to go next time we're out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow it is really gorgeous and your dress is beautiful for your visit there!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your sunnies and dress!!! i would die to have that library and indoor pool!!!!!

    nataliya
    sewniice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your penny loafer pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the picture of you against the wall! print smorgasbord :) also, i have a giveaway if you're interested, ash!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Possibily hunted houses are my favourite (to visit, not to live, hehe). This place looks gorgeous, I love all the decoration. You also look great and very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's one beautiful dress and you. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(