9.13.2012

about right


Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo

Outfit Details:
striped shirt: thrift store
blue jumper: thrift store
vintage canvas flats: A gift from Grant

A disjointed collection of random musings that I thought I'd share:
  • My birthday is next Saturday, the big 2-4.  After my 21st birthday I became one of those people who do not particularly look forward to their birthdays. I guess that's stereotypical, though.  Approaching birthdays always induce me to do some critical thinking about my life. Am I working/ completing goals that I've set for myself? Do I need to be making power moves and shaking things up a bit? 
  • I CANNOT stop listening to the podcast "Stuff You Should Know".  I really recommend it. It's done by two guys and they discuss and break down pretty much everything you've ever wondered about from how the Witness Protection Agency works to is tone deafness hereditary (FUN FACT: truly tone deaf people are actually faithfully recreating the melodies that they hear. There is something off with their hearing. I live for factoids like these).  Anyway I listen to this podcast while I'm working, while I'm driving, at the gym...everywhere! Highly recommended if you're a lover of knowledge (and who isn't?!). I should add that I think part of the reason why the podcast is so good is that the banter between the two guys, Josh and Chuck, is really great.  They usually joke around and make lots of pop culture references during the show so it adds a certain levity to even the most boring of topics.
  • My friend recently became a teacher at a local high school and she asked me to help her decorate her room. I cannot tell you how many times in my life that  I have daydreamed about decorating a classroom.  AND she teaches history which, in my opinion, is the best subject to decorate for! Weirdly the hardest thing was arranging the desks in the classroom. She has 40 desks (ridiculous) and we needed to figure out a way to position them that would work with her room and foster a space for effective learning. I had no idea about this but she was telling me how there is a lot of literature/ studies on things like desk placement and how it can effect learning and the classroom environment. Never crossed my mind but it definitely makes perfect sense. Anyway, I was really excited to help out and now whenever I'm out thrifting or just shopping I have to stop myself from buying all sorts of things that I think would look cute in her classroom. I'm living my classroom decorating fantasies vicariously through her and I don't hate that one bit!



13 comments:

  1. Aww, I wish my teacher friends lived closer so I could help them decorate! That sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that jumper! Such a cute outfit!
    Yep...my big 2-4 is coming in a month and I am definitely not where I thought I would be...but it's okay, I'll get there.
    And woohoo for decorating a classroom!! So much fun! :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute! I love red/white/blue outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stuff you should know is great! i don't really look forward to my birthday either... i've gotten too excited for it in the past and it sucks to be disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! 24?! Seriously? All this time I thought you were older than me! But anyway, 24 is just a number, so there's no reason to feel this way about your birthday I guess (though I feel a little nervous myself, next year I'll be 25 and 25 is scary).
    You look great anyways! Red stripes+blue jumper, what a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey you're welcome to stuff you should know! it's sooo good. did you listen to this american life yet? even better.
    also, the colors. and meh. i'm 25, you'll be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great that you were able to help out your friend with her classroom. I am sure it looked so nice. Beautiful outfit!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'd like to see pictures of the classroom! your outfit is very schoolgirl-y so it's fitting :)
    Sometimes Almost Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also, way to make me feel old! :) i'm turning 30 next month

      Delete
  9. oh geeze. I cannot believe you found that adorable jumper at a thrift store! crazy luck! I just turned 24 too- it felt weird- but all you really CAN do is move forward anyway, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eee that striped jumper is so so adorable, and this entire look is gorgeous!

    I hope you had a wonderful birthday, regardless of the feelings it awakes in you (I am the exact same way, unfortunately)!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(