9.03.2012

monterey

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Still milking the travel photos! It was really hard to choose what snaps to share from the Monterey Bay Aquarium, these are only a few of my favorites. The aquarium has a really beautiful jelly fish exhibit and I don't know about you but I could literally spend hours watching jelly fish swim around. Their movements are so hypnotic and the colors are just out of this world amazing. Can you keep jellies as pets? Something tells me you can't but if it were possible I think i'd seriously look into it.

Another cool part of the aquarium was being able to watch the different deep sea fish being fed. The photos of a bunch of people with their cell phones out trying to take photos is of this.  The funny fish doing this face :O is an ocean sun fish aka mola mola and it's probably my new favorite fish on account of how crazy/ silly it looks. Second to this, watching the sardines being fed was trippy. The school would swim around rapidly and then turn on a drop of a dime, their silvery scales hitting the light just so causing bright flashes of light within the tank. Super cool to see.

And as an aside, I also learned on this trip that I am NOT allergic to clams! Monterey is allegedly known for their clam chowder so I really wanted a bowl. Throwing caution to the wind, Grant and I shared a clam chowder bread bowl for lunch. I waited and waited for an allergic reaction to come but nothing ever happened. To think,  I've been missing out on clam chowdery goodness all these years because of one Costco clam chowder sample gone awry. Nice to cross that one off the list. Now if only my Ibuprofen and kiwi allergy would disappear...

12 comments:

  1. Wow - such beautiful pictures! I love the jellyfish ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love love love the monterey bay aquarium! we went to san francisco for our 1 year anniversary and drove out of our way to visit. such a fun place! the jellyfish are the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love going to the aquarium! These pics are wonderful, especially those jellyfish ones. They look so pretty and ethereal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jellies! They are fascinating aren't they? I totally agree too, watching them is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love aquariums! I wish they were free; I would go all the time. And watching jellyfish is the best, like going into a meditative trance or something. I could do it for hours. Once I was trying to take a pic of some tropical fish, and this one kept getting right in my face. I would move to the left and he would move to the left, then the right, you get the idea. Finally, I just gave him what he wanted and took a photo of him front and center. Sheesh. Camera hog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jellyfish are so mythical and lovely (until they sting you, that is =D).

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh clam chowder is one of my all-time favorite things. it would be sad to be allergic. (also, i get the biggest migraines and headaches so ibuprofen is my best friend.) i had wanted to stop by the aquarium on my road trip up the coast earlier this summer but we didn't have any money. hearst castle too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo this looks like so much fun! I think jellyfish are soo cool/I'm a bit scared of them. I absolutely love watching them at aquariums though. Google 'Japanese firefly squid' if you haven't. Also, I am allergic to ibuprofen too and it's the worst! :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at those snaps! So vibrant! Monterey Aquarium is my ultimate favorite place to visit and I couldn't agree with you more about spending hours and hours there. It's the most magical site, ever. Btw, you can own your own jelly fishies! http://www.jellyfishart.com/ But, it's waaaaaaaaaay expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. monterey has the best clam chowder!! many days I just want to get in the car and drive up north (from la) just for their dumb clam chowder. it's that goood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love jellyfish! Everyone I know says they're boring, so I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who likes them. Great photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! The first few pictures are incredible! What a crazy awesome animal!

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(