10.12.2012

oh yeah?

Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
Description of Photo

Outfit Details:
90s striped mini dress:  Spare Room Vintage 
Sam Edelman suede booties: thrift store
Red socks: Target
Teeth Sweater by Alex Knost x RVCA 

Earlier this year Grant and I were watching the DVD reissue of The Year Punk Broke, a 1991 documentary that chronicles a European festival tour with Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr. and other bands. Well, if you haven't seen the dvd, I really recommend it. Especially if you even remotely like any of the acts I mentioned. There is some amazing concert footage and goofy behind the scenes moments between the bands which is endearing and fun to see. However, to bring it back to fashion, during most of the concert footage of Sonic Youth, Kim Gordom wears a striped short sleeve mini dress that looked absolutely flawless on her and ever since watching the DVD I had made it a personal mission to find something similar for myself. I thought it would be really easy and that mini dresses were a dime a dozen to come by. WRONG. I was so wrong! Scouring thrift stores, trawling etsy and ebay, and searching online for reproductions and similar styles  led me to nothing. Thankfully, after a few months of looking I finally found a dress that was -close enough- for me. Success!

When it comes to fashion and style, I find that what inspires me the most is almost never photos from a  runway show or a magazine editorial but images or footage of people from the past. I think it's an approach that's more personal. Instead of responding to clothing or images that were created in order to sell something, I can respond, appreciate, and be inspired by a random outfit that a girl in 1974 wore to hang out with her friends that I saw in a box of old photos at a flea market. An outfit that she wore because she liked it, plain and simple. That's all the fashion credibility I need to see. 

15 comments:

  1. I put that on my list. Dinosaur Jr recently toured in Portland and I'm sorta kicking myself for not going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this outfit! I'm personally not into those bands but I always enjoy watching the old Woodstock footage and things like that. It's so fun to see what was in fashion back then.

    I get my inspiration from everywhere but I love that you get it from old photos and stuffs, definitely more personal than runway shows
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the booties, plus this dress makes you look like a character from Clueless : love it !

    See U

    ReplyDelete
  4. looove your cardigan. a lot. a lot alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that last paragraph is the reason I freaking LOVE YOU. And the reason why you are one of the best fashion bloggers ever to grace the internetz. :)

    There are a lot of fashion bloggers out there who all look alike, because they're following the same trends and have the same style inspirations and they buy their clothes at the same stores. But nobody has a style like you. I love that you take vintage looks and make them all your own. You take something from another decade and twist it into your own Ashley ensemble.

    Much respect. I could go on forever, but it will just be more of me gushing about how fabulous you are and everyone will just think I'm a crazy lesbo or something. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gosh, wonderful blog! i love the sweater you are wearing over your dress! cute, cute outfit.

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about getting inspired by films and photos rather than glossy editorials. I love the suede booties. Thrifted? Lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to check that movie out. Did you get a chance to hear Dinosaur Jr.'s new album yet?

    As for sunscreen, the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture line that I like also has one with sunscreen in it. It's a lower SPF (15) so it might not leave that tacky residue on your skin. It should be good for every day use under makeup. It's a drugstore product so it's worth a try! Hopefully, this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, i like your style so much, and you are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good fashion. I like your yellow overcoat so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This outfit is fantastic. BUT DAMN LOOK AT THE SHOES + SOCKS. Amazing. You nail it everytime. You could wear a floral sheet and still be gorgeously stylish <3

    And I love your fashion inspiration... just because she liked it. I want people to say that about my outfits everyday !!

    Hope you and Grant are doing great my love!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I'm sure you've been told this before, but you are the embodiment of Cassandra from Waynes World. Dreamweaver.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This mini is perfect and I love how you styled it! You have totally been rocking the simple late 80s/ early 90s minis lately- I love the cut of these dresses because they are so comfy and easy to wear- fitted in the bodice and a slightly flared skirt, sign me up!
    Definitely going to check this documentary out, I just watched an interesing Bob Marley one that is new on netflix too which was pretty good as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, the fashion in vintage photographs is very inspiring. You knocked this one out the park.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That drives me crazy when I want something that I think will be fairly simple to find and I can't find it! Good thing you found that dress! It's super cute and it looks great on you! I love it with the mustard sweater!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(