11.19.2012

Barry McGee at Berkeley Art Museum

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


While up north Grant had heard that there was a Barry McGee show up at BAM so of course we had to check it out for ourselves. I've seen a few Barry McGee shows but I will say that this one has been my favorite so far. The space really lends itself well to his art and there was just so much to look at. I love his installation work, the R. Fong storefront is just so cool! As someone who spent a good chunk of their time in high school acting in plays and musicals, I've since become really appreciative of thoughtful set design and layout (I usually pay a lot of attention to backgrounds and costuming in movies because of this)  and while I know the installation obviously isn't meant to be viewed as a set, I just think it looks so realistic and awesome. I think he did something similar for Art In The Streets?

Oh and how crazy are those tagger figures balancing on the car? 

If you're in SF/ Oakland you should check this show out! It runs until December 9th 

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a great show; the bottle installation at the end is by far my favorite piece though!! :)

    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wish I could go! Looks amazing!

    XO,

    Simona

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..And you outfit was super cute, love the colour of the cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the balancing figures on the car is pretty intense!!!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this artwork is awesome! Especially the van with all those people piled on it lol.

    Haha I was very confused when I read the above comments about your cardi. I kept looking through the photos, like "where is she?!" and finally found you in front of that pretty wall. It was like Where's Ashley? instead of Where's Waldo? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Oakland & have been meaning to check this out. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad I'm on the other side of the country...would love to see this. And a bit of Margaret Kilgallen in there too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow i was captivated by the first picture and also the one with the glass bottles hanging on the wall. major deco inspiration! nice pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

What's up?

*Had to turn word verification on (even though I personally hate it). I've been getting too many weird spambot comments lately :(